Monday, April 9, 2012

Hard Times

It's been a hard couple of weeks. I'm finally coming out of the fog of the first few months of Crossfit. I know the lingo, I'm seeing WODs repeat, I'm finally getting my sea legs. So, when the dust cleared, I realized to my dismay that I suck. As in, last. Pretty much every day. During the first couple of months, I didn't expect to compete - I was too focused on not dying or developing exercise induced asthma. Now, it would just be kinda nice to come in somewhere in the middle sometime...even lower...just not last.

So where is the line between comparing myself to gauge where I should be and using that info to beat myself up? Don't know. Every day is going to have to figure itself out. Sam said to keep working hard; "keep focusing on the little shit and the materialistic shit will take care of itself" (ie where I'm at on the whiteboard).

So here's a few little things that I've seen improve:
1. I'm running every run - haven't walked during a running wod this season.
2. My strength gains in squats are huge - PRing every time.
3. I stay in the suck longer every day.
4. My transition times between exercises are shorter.
5. I take fewer and shorter breaks.
6. My flexibility is a heck of a lot better.
7. I'm an encourager. I give and try not to always take.
8. I'm RXing workouts here and there
9. Using the 35lb kb and the 26 feels light.
10. I am more focused.

Even though it is so tempting to wallow in self-pity when I look at the board and see myself last or close to it every workout, that is not helping me improve. I will keep walking through the door and putting myself in the hands of the wod. I'll give my damndest every day. I'll do work and let the materialistic shit take care of itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment